We have an ongoing cPanel Forums thread answering questions around this announcement. Please go give it a read!
Today we announced a new partnership with our friends over at CloudLinux. If you’re gearing up to migrate from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7 (and again from CentOS 7 to CentOS 8 in a few years), you can now consider another option!
cPanel & WHM Version 86: The last version to support CentOS 6
We are planning on carrying support for CentOS 6 until the next LTS version of cPanel & WHM, Version 86. Only one version of cPanel & WHM enters the LTS tier each year and is supported until March 31st the following year. In this case, Version 86 will be 2020’s LTS version and will be supported by us until March 31st, 2021.
For those users that prefer to only upgrade their servers once per year, LTS may be the choice for you. LTS builds receive security and other critical updates, as well as standard EasyApache 4, PHP, Site Software, and other cPanel & WHM components throughout the life span of the LTS version. Essentially, if a server owner prefers to remain on one version of cPanel & WHM for a more extended period, the LTS version has the same benefits of our other tiered versions coupled with long term support.
CloudLinux OS 6 Support extended to 2024
CentOS 6 will reach end of life in November of 2020, and that means no more security patches or bug fixes. To help customers who are currently using cPanel & WHM on a CentOS 6 server, we have teamed up with the CloudLinux team to extend the life of CloudLinux OS 6. Anyone hoping to delay the inevitable migration can purchase a CloudLinux license and install the hybrid kernel provided by CloudLinux. You’ll also be able to take advantage of all of the additional benefits of CloudLinux.
Q & A
There are a couple of questions that have already come up, so we thought we’d answer those here:
- Why are you offering this extension?
- We saw the burden placed on customers when CentOS 5 reached end of life, and we want to help alleviate that wherever possible. Since we don’t maintain operating systems, we needed to seek help from a team that did!
- Will this apply to existing CloudLinux OS 6 licenses?
- Yes, this extension is valid for all CloudLinux OS 6 licenses.
- Do I have to purchase the license from cPanel?
- Nope! You can purchase CloudLinux from the store (or through Manage2 as a partner), but you don’t have to. This will be extended without regard to where you purchased the license.
As always, if you have questions that you don’t see answered here, don’t hesitate to reach out! The best places to ask questions are the cPanel Forums, or directly to our support team. You can also join us in our Slack or Discord channels, or even ask on our subreddit. Be sure to subscribe to the cPanel Essentials Briefing List to receive emails about important updates, and check out the Up Next hub for further details!