In late 2020, CentOS 8 announced that it would be reaching its end-of-life in December of 2021. This news was rather unexpected in both the open source and web hosting worlds. In response, we have been working towards providing solutions that will not just benefit our Partners and Customers, but also provide options as we move forward together.
Earlier this month, we announced that cPanel and WHM® version 94 will fully support AlmaLinux upon its launch date. We are equally pleased to now announce that cPanel & WHM version 102 will fully support Ubuntu LTS (version 20.04) as well.
What Is Ubuntu LTS?
LTS, or Long Term Support, means that this version of the operating system is supported and patched by the developer for a minimum of five years, for free. A new LTS version is also released every two years, with thousands of security patches applied to each version. In other words, Ubuntu LTS is predictable, stable, and secure.
Ubuntu does have an amount of similarities to CentOS, but some notable differences as well that provide additional benefits for certain situations. For example, development or application hosting that utilizes more modern technology may find Ubuntu to be a preferable Linux distribution. Single-user servers may also particularly benefit as well.
What This Means For You
As our Partners and Customers begin to investigate and execute their upgrade plans as a result of the CentOS announcement, we remain committed to providing as smooth of a transition as possible.
Additionally, we are also taking the necessary steps to mitigate any single vendor risk to cPanel support in the future. By supporting multiple Linux distros from different OS vendors, any unexpected end-of-life announcements from third parties in the future will no longer be as impactful.
If you have any feedback or comments, please let us know; we are here to help. You’ll find us on Discord, the cPanel forums, and Reddit. Be sure to also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
What are the advantages of using Ubuntu LTS with cPanel?
Using Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) with cPanel offers several advantages for hosting and managing websites. Here are some of the key advantages:
- Stability: Ubuntu LTS is known for its stability and reliability. It undergoes rigorous testing and bug fixes, ensuring a stable operating system for hosting environments. This stability is crucial for running critical services like cPanel and ensuring the smooth functioning of websites.
- Long-term support: Ubuntu LTS releases come with long-term support, typically for five years or more. This means you will receive security updates and critical bug fixes, providing a secure and stable environment for your websites. The extended support period is particularly important for production environments and helps in maintaining the overall security and integrity of your hosting infrastructure.
- Compatibility: cPanel is well-supported on Ubuntu LTS, and the two work seamlessly together. Ubuntu LTS provides the necessary system requirements and compatibility for cPanel to function optimally. This compatibility ensures a smooth installation and integration process, reducing the likelihood of compatibility issues or conflicts.
- Security: Ubuntu LTS takes security seriously and provides regular security updates and patches. By using Ubuntu LTS with cPanel, you can benefit from a secure hosting environment. The combination of cPanel’s built-in security features and Ubuntu LTS’s security updates helps protect your websites from potential threats and vulnerabilities.
- Community and documentation: Ubuntu has a large and active community of users and developers, which means you can find extensive documentation, forums, and resources to support your hosting setup. If you encounter any issues or need assistance, you can easily find solutions and guidance from the Ubuntu and cPanel communities.
In summary, using Ubuntu LTS with cPanel offers stability, long-term support, compatibility, security, and access to a vibrant community. These advantages contribute to a reliable and secure hosting environment, enabling you to efficiently manage and host your websites with ease.